Friday, July 17, 2009

On Thai Cuisine

Gah I know I write about food in every post anyway, but it is just such a huge part of my life here (and in America, haha). Rice is really growing on me-breakfast, lunch, and dinner! It's not like in the states where there is usually one or two main dishes for dinner. Every night there are 6 or 7 things to "chim" or taste and then there are the fruit offerings :) I love it.

Strange Flavor Facts:


There are a lot of corn things here. That reminds me of other interesting flavor tidbits. In Thailand, there are these fantastic powder drink mixers that are mixed with ice for about 33 cents USD. The flavors are pretty normal, like green apple, watermelon, vanilla, chocolate, etc…until one starts reading other labels for beer flavor, corn (of course!), onion, rice, etc. We’ll see when I start saying no to the sweet coffee flavor and choose corn instead.

Fruits I want to find in America:

Custard Apples (Noi-na)
Jackfruit (Canoon)
Pomelo (I know we have it!)
Rambutan
Mangosteen ( I know we have it)
Thai bananas, watermelon, pineapple, and coconut (SO MUCH BETTER)

2 comments:

  1. I will start stockpiling the brown rice! Not sure I have seen Noi-na at Lyman Orchards, but the peaches are ready for picking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is jackfruit in America. It is ginormous and prickly and scary.

    -Phil

    ReplyDelete