Monday, July 27, 2009

More Thoughts on Age

Women:
Age is not even a number in Thailand. I’ve already written about the incredible youthful glow widespread among all the middle-aged women I’ve met. Exhibit A: The Thrasri women of my host family. MaReam is hot. She has a hot body, gorgeous curls, nice teeth, and the looks of a 28-year-old. I refuse to accept that she is in her mid-fifties. Aunt O has even better skin than MaReam and she’s 52. I had the pleasure of meeting Aunt O and MaReam’s sister in Chang Lai. She looks the youngest of the three (even though she technically is only 51) but I could easily see her primping that perfect hair alongside my beautiful girlfriends getting ready to go out.
Men:
The men, handsome ones anyway, have not been as plentiful. Every man I meet is either under the age of 14 or over 50. There is a single exception that I’ll explain later when I discuss the trip to Chang Lai in detail. However, Nhaca and I enjoy the man-candy that is Witwat.

Oh Witwat, how I appreciate thee.

Witwat is a “technology teacher” at our school but basically he just struts around looking handsome while Nhaca and I drool at the off-limits, mid-fifties, married Thai brilliance. He wears button downs with the first three unbuttoned, aviators, and has amazing teeth. Witwat certainly makes school entertaining. He takes more interest in Nhaca (of course) because she is gorgeously Asian and exotically born in Vietnam. Witwat is starting to play matchmaker---not for himself, but for his son! He is sketchily trying to set the 28-year-old with Nhaca, but Nhaca’s knowledgeable host mom says he’s been married before! The scandal continues…

I met my first attractive young man in Chang Lai at a family roadside dinner with about 20 attendees. Gong celebrated his 21st birthday with me and we clinked over Thai beer. Turns out Gong studies political science at university (I am a government major) so we had a few things in common. Through our congruently limited language skills, we bonded over the Eagles’ “Hotel California”, an appreciation of Obama, and…the Thai beer. It was refreshing to (sort-of) talk to someone close to my own age. Punch (my host cousin) and I talked a little bit, but it’s difficult with her adorable 2 year old Pin interrupting/crying.

Teens:
Fun and Film are typical teens, bopping to Avril Lavinge and obsessed with anime cartoons and printed tee shirts. Fun bought a Michael Jackson shirt and hasn’t taken it off! However, they are very dependent on their parents—more so than teens in America—and can be slightly whiney. The “Maee” (Mom) call perfects the complaining tone for maximum yield. In case I haven’t written this before, I actually don’t sleep in the host family house but am next door in the now-North-Carolinian uncle’s house. Fun and Film come over to sleep to keep me company and even though there are 3 bedrooms, they sleep together. Come to find out that Film actually slept in her parents’ bed until I came. She’s 15 years old! No judgment, but whoa.

Anyway, back onto age.

Older People!

I love old people. I love hearing stories and just being with people with worn shoes. Luckily for me, old people abound in Thailand. A Thai lifespan is about 72 years of age, a little less than in the United States. I’ve met many old people here and there, and there were a few gems in Chang Rai as well.

First Background:
Saturday July 25th was the most I’ve ever laughed or felt completely at bliss. It was just this: a fantastic day surrounded by happy people, good food, and beautiful scenery. Saturday morning I woke up naturally at 6 am, “up-nam-ed” (showered), and met some extended family during a trip to Chang Rai in Northern Thailand (see post below!)

Old People:

We stayed at MaReam’s sister’s house but I went next door to meet her sister’s mother-in-law, 93-year-old Bea, the first Christian I’ve met in Thailand. Talking in my limited Thai to this shriveled woman on her bed, I realized how quickly life passes by. Bea showed me her prized possession-a picture of herself meeting the queen over 50 years ago in her teaching uniform. It’s so special to step into the lives of these people who live with richness and tradition. She showed me wedding pictures, handmade crocheted side-table covers, a portrait of the last supper, and pictures of her mid-30 year old son who is the family prodigy—because he went to university in Oklahoma; (I was later handed a cell phone to “speak at English!” to the kind man). I literally had been talking to her for less than 5 minutes and she sat up and randomly embraced me. Bea gave me hand-crocheted key-chains—that she makes for weddings—as a parting gift on Sunday and with her soft hand in mind, peered at me through large spectacles and said, “God bless you”. It was very special. When saying goodbye to the rest of the family I used the usual “yin dee tee dai ru juk” aka “nice to meet you” and the regular wai. It’s more casual-see-you-again style. I felt readily aware when I was saying goodbye to Bea that I will never see her again. She and I seemed to be thinking the same thing and although no more words other than the formal “long-gon” (farewell) were exchanged, I could sense her understanding of my thoughts…

I also met PaChub’s parents. His mother is warm, beautiful at 77, and bid me farewell with a hug. His father had a giant potbelly, hearty laugh, and a penchant for growing lum-yai trees—which bear one of my favorite thai fruits.

I love meeting these family members even if I perform the mandatory circus animal routine of smiling, saying cute things in Thai, and having them comment on my appearance.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY. The Thais have their priorities down. Even the 21-year old Gong goes home from university about twice a month and celebrated his 21st with 10 relatives instead of with friends. Family makes up all of MaReam’s friends besides her fellow teachers who she’s been alongside for 30 years.

Lesson learned: Age may not matter, but family sure does.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deven. It's Melanie from Barbados - your bunk mate at NYSC. I just want to say that I love your blogs. I read them every chance I get.You depict Thailand so well that its like Í'm there.

    ReplyDelete