Monday, July 6, 2009

On America…a reflection for the 4th of July 7/4/09

7/4/09
[Playing the gong at my favorite temple]




Talking about Thai reaction to me when exercising also touches on a few things I’ve noticed about general approaches to meeting me. I’ve been thinking about what it means to be an American since I’m now on the outside looking in. I realize more and more what a complex thing it is to describe-The United States of America.
On the first day of school, I introduced myself as Teacher Deven from the United States…but the students didn’t register the far-away land until I said “America”.
A morning at the exercise park, I was approached by two 12 year old boys who cutely made “muscle arms” and asked why I was so “exercise”. I got them to say “My name is…” and informed them that I teach Pratom at Sanamklee School to their delight! When I said I was from “America” they kept saying “America! America!”…it was so cute.

What is it about America that is so universally interesting to others? This morning I ordered a “chai yen” (thai iced tea-highly addictive, wickedly sweet “tea” with lots of sugar and condensed milk) and spoke in English to the 20-something young man making my tea. He asked where I was from ( I started saying Washington, D.C. because CT is not recognized) and when I answered, he exclaimed “ Barack Obama!”. I’m bringing him some pictures of me meeting Mr. Pres later this week. Even in this rural section of Northern Thailand, our President is recognized.

I miss reading about Michelle’s daily wardrobe…and someone needs to fill me in on Iran, the status of Sarah Palin’s resignation, etc…I miss my NYT, but my internet use is so limited and staggered that I can’t spend time reading the news!

Anyway, back to America. It’s really hard to answer questions from my host family. They don’t understand how Nhaca is from the US and is Vietnamese too. They just say ‘Vietnam’ and don’t understand how immigrants come to the melting pot of America. [It’s a little awkward for me sometimes because Nhaca is usually spoken to before I am approached because she looks Thai (although apparently I look Indian..see below) and has a very hip Korean-ish hairstyle. Thais love Korea! The music, the clothes, styles…all the young girls are really into Korean pop.] (I go off on tangents so often; I apologize!) My host family asks a lot of questions about school i.e. “In America, do you go to College every day?” “Why don’t you stay with your family?” and “Why do you go to College 6 hours from home?”

These questions are all hard to answer. It’s also hard for them to conceptualize“summer break” because Thais go to school year round and my host sisters go to school 5am to 5pm everyday and go to tutors/extra English on Saturday and Sunday. They think I’m skipping school right now but I try to explain that I don’t start until August! They also ask questions that I make gross generalizations to answer…i.e. “Do people fly more than drive?” ( I said, generally not, but some people have to fly often for business) and “What jobs do Americans like?” (my cynical side wanted to say “ones that profit”) and “When do people get married?” (uhhhh I don’t know!).
Buddha on July 4th
They also commented on my ring, an Irish cladder ring that tells one’s relationship status (design is a heart held in hands worn face-up means taken but upside down means single) and asked if everyone in America wore one. They asked about American food and music…hard to specify something as distinctly American.

Thinking about these things makes me realize what a rich and diverse nation we live in. There is no ‘typical’ American. (I really sound romantic, don’t I?)

2 comments:

  1. lol i just had to comment on this one bc you mentioned kpop :)

    just say Nichkhun from 2PM to your thai kids and i'm sure they will freak out!

    lovee your posts deven! i read them on and off. good stuff

    miss you dearly~! be safe

    love from your korean sistah,
    kim kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. is your name really kim kim? wow. <3

    anyhow, not only do the thai people go to school hardcore, but they also have to do like 2 years military service after college

    ReplyDelete