Monday, July 6, 2009

On Exercise 7/4/09

As I’ve mentioned before, my host family insists that I have supervision when I exercise because they are convinced that the rice patty roads are dangerous and that because I am so “sawai” or beautiful, I am a target. At first I was a little annoyed because running has become so much of my daily routine to reflect and unwind and serves a spiritual purpose for me that is usually solitary. Yet I am so overwhelmed by their concern and am very grateful for the companionship and protection from the dogs. Thai dogs can be vicious and seem pretty territorial. Not only am I unfamiliar in appearance, but I have only seen one other Thai runner since I arrived in Thailand. In Taphan Hin there was aerobic dancing, but here in Bangkratum few people appear to exercise. Thus when I, the strapping American ramble through the streets, I get lots of looks. The other day I had a run in which a man driving a cart of longan (one of my favorite fruits) slowed WAY down behind me, muttered something in Thai, went by, and then turned around for a second look-see. Most are too shy to say anything, but if someone is following along side me, I usually try to greet him/her in Thai. Today I ended my run at an “exercise park”. 2 older men used the “weight” machines that are really just brightly colored playground equipment without actual weight or a way to increase intensity. I started doing my normal ab/arm routine and motorbikes and cars were pulling over to watch. AWKWARD.

Runs are great to see some of the beautiful Thai countryside and its intriguing how much variation in socioeconomic class there is in a single kilometer. There will be a spacious gated house like mine and 40 meters away is a dilapidated 1-room shack missing half its roof. I also observed a man bathing in the canal of the Nan River in coffee-colored water the other morning. How is it possible that expensive cars and trucks whiz by and I live with a washing machine, A/C, a motorcycle while this man cleans himself in mud, riding a beat-up bicycle with his belongings in two plastic bags dangling from the handlebars?

1 comment:

  1. "sawai" ? what in the world are they talking about ???

    i second your host family. i wouldn't go along rice paddies alone.

    bring along that thai boy that makes you chai yen --- if he can keep up !

    ReplyDelete