Friday, June 19, 2009

Starting freakout....NOW

Oh goodness.
Just recieved an email with a lot more information on my living situation! I'm roughing it more than I thought!
Here's an email from Daniel, our coordinator who is already in Thailand.

Dear Girls,

Today Supa, Pakapol, and I went to visit all of the schools and host families! I am so happy and grateful that Supa and Pakapol were able to score you such AMAZING people to work with for the next 6 or so weeks. I thought you find it useful to have a breakdown of who's going where and with whom.

Thapanhin-- Crystal and Stacy
So, your host parents are siblings (actually, just like Deven's and Nhaca's)! They are super excited and super happy to have you with them. I took a tour of your rooms (to make sure they were what LE guarantees our volunteers-- no surprises, you know) and there were a few surprises.

Crystal, and especially Stacy, You will be living in what I have interpreted to be the lap of luxury. Your rooms are huge. Stacy, you actually have a TV, a swimming pool (lap pool), workout machines, etc at your disposal. Crystal, your room is like an appartment, which is a part of the house. You both have huge beds. blah blah blah-- What I am trying to say is that it is not exactly the "underprivilaged" cribb that you two will be staying in. I don't know how you feel about that-- Supa and I have decided that next year we will find host families who have a bigger need/would benefit more from having volunteers stay with them. Since this is the first year, and Supa has already spent the past three months or so cultivating these wonderful people's interest in LE and community service, we have decided that it would be best to go with the flow of things.

Phitsanulok- Deven and Nhaca
Nhaca and Deven, you will be living on a farm in the middle of nowhere, which is precisesly 35 minutes away from Crystal and Stacy. Your host familie are equally amazing with untarnishable smiles and huge, wholesome hearts to sweet you away. Nhaca, your room has a nice sized bed on the top floor of the house, which is exceptionall nice (but not luxurious). You also have KITTENS. Deven, you have the most what I like to euphamize as "rustic" of all of the stays. The house is undergoing reconstructino so its all bare! It is two stories and you feel like you are in a treehouse when you are on the second one. You're room is the only room in the house-- i.e. you walk into a huge living room and you see a door that leads to your room. There you will find a mattress.... Things may change if YOU see fit-- we can figure something out if this is too spartan for you. A great note is that there is a long straight road that runs through the rice fields from the main road to your house that you will find the most perfect place to run.

On schools-- the schools also show a discrepancy in socioeconomic class. The Thapanhin School is the quintessential Thai school. It seems to be well maintained, well trimmed, and generally well ran. The Phits School is our quintessential notion of a village school. Accordingly, during my visit today, there was no electricity for some unknown reason. The teachers you will be working with are super nice and ready to help. I see this as an awesome opportunity for you two groups not only to bridge a gap of physical distance and educational distance, but also class and socioeconomical distance as you seek to establish your mentorship programs.

UNIFORMS/DRESSCODE for School:
close-toed shoes
blouse/polo-- i.e. NO T-SHIRTS
Skirt/Dress below the knees, Pants


So yeah...I'm super pumped. I'm really glad that I get to have an authentic experience and live frugally. I hope I can shower though. I really like showering...especially after running...

SO MUCH PLANNING. Why didn't I do this before??

1 comment: