Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Over the top farewell...

6/29/09
Yesterday was the most ridiculous display of Thai culture! After a long teaching 101 session (our last day at Supa’s house in Taphan Hin) on how to instruct and construct the classroom, we the volunteers dressed in Thai clothing and tested out our dance moves from yesterday which was really fun. The women sewed our Western frames into tiny Thai corsets in which I could not a) breathe or b) sit down in.
INDIAN SIDE NOTE: Thai dance is very interesting and most of it derives from India. The wai (or greeting that you use to say hello to EVERYONE) also comes from India. Interestingly, of all the people I’ve met in Thailand, 3 have asked if I’m Indian. Apparently I look South Asian to them? I am so proud haha!
Dancing outside under a protective tent with live instrumentalists, little girls were so enthusiastic to hold my hand and hug me, saying “Naaa-raat” which means cute or beautiful. I met my host dad, “Looom” which means uncle in Thai and his granddaughter “Oom” but they were really anxious and did not speak any English so I felt uncomfortable. After the party I was supposed to move with them into my rural farmhouse in Bangkratum, Phitanulok but I went in the car with Nhaca and her host family which is supposed to live just down the dirt road. I was told by Buu, Nhaca’s host sister aka the 16 year old English-speaking goddess!, that I couldn’t go with my host family because of the rain and that I’d be staying with them tonight. I was confused as to why the rain prevented by move-in, but a phone call to Daniel/Supa in Taphanhin clarified that the mud road I live on was flooded and impossible to walk on with suitcases. So the 4 year old granddaughter Oom and Looom trekked the 2 miles back sans moi. Supa called me last night and told me that they were likely going to try and find another host family for me because Nisa, my host mom is the only English speaker, but she is going to be in Bangkok Friday through Sunday and works every other day 6am-6pm, so it’s not ideal for communication AND I have no internet and in the case of emergency could be left without information. So right now I’m in limbo and feeling kinda uncomfortable.

Nhaca’s host family is lovely but we find ourselves so confused with this language barrier. It’s a lot of us being silent or saying “Mai kow jaie” which means “I don’t understand”. Bangkratum is so rural compared to Taphanhin. I went running this morning at 5 because the temple next to our house blasts this broadcast news show bright and early. It was okay but the people aren’t as smilely as in Taphanhin(probably more surprised to see Westerners) and the dogs are so scary. I was chased and scratched by about 3, but at least they didn’t bite! I don’t want to run in fear, but I also don’t want to stop running because I need it for peace of mind and because Thais shove food down my throat! Too bad there is no aerobic dancing in Bangkratum.

The power and water also shut off this morning at Nhaca’s house where I spent the night….

I am about to leave for school! First day of class yields nervousness, but I am so excited for these 6-9 year olds! Lesson plan consists of a lot of introduction material. I plan to borrow one of my favorite things from elementary school called “meeting” in which all the children sit on the floor in a circle and I go over the agenda. Then I’ll give my introduction and pass around a few pictures of family, snow, and my house. Next we’ll play a name game with yarn that I brought to create a web as each kid says his name and age. After that I’ll give a brief talk about the web and our interconnectedness in learning (really playing into the Buddhist thoughts here!). Next the students will make name cards that I brought and I’ll take a picture of them to memorize the names and faces tonight! Then I’ll go over class rules, which besides all the basic ones about respect, will include a smiling rule…ie :”I want to see nothing but smiles because learning English is fun!”. If time allows we’ll do the ABC’s.

1 comment: