Sunday, August 2, 2009

On the "count-down"

Friday July 31st:

This being the last day of July and my fourth to last day of teaching, numbers were on the brain. WE LOVE NUMBERS!

I had the best day of teaching so far. With my littlest kids, we read a story about ONE dog that I brought along with some other donated books curtesey of the good old Durham library. This one is particularly useful because kids could identify the bright colors of the TWELVE strawberries on the ONE dog’s birthday cake (realistic? Only in America, right?). I found a great sing-a-long book and taught my kids a numbers song after they demonstrated their counting ability with our favorite pass-the-bouncy-ball game. Check out a video of Pratom 2 here:

Other classes also read the ONE dog book and then drew dog pictures, being sure to label the colors they used. I love interdisciplinary learning (if colors and numbers are interdisciplinary) and singing and coloring are my new favorite pastimes.
I also was graced with beautiful heart-shaped valentines that say “I love you” from my Pratom 4. I almost started crying….I am going to be a wreck this week as I only have 3 days left of smiling, giggling, loving children. Well at least I have another career possibility I wasn’t considering before! I love teaching and think ESL is such an exciting way to see a country and culture. I would love to become certified and continue to explore Asia!

1 comment:

  1. next time i see you, i'm going to start off with, "1,2 buckle my shoe"

    but in this really slow, droning, annoying voice...


    haha so adorbs

    ReplyDelete